Summer vacation is drawing near and kids will be home with little to occupy their time than their Xbox or other video games. It is during summer months that AMF Bowling centers sign on to offer parents something that is guaranteed to get the kids off the couch and moving about—and it saves parents a bundle! The Kids Bowl Free program allows registered the children (15 and under in Charlottesville) two free games of bowling every day throughout the summer!
It started May 24 at Charlottesville’s Kegler’s—and doesn’t end until Sept. 19. Additionally, the program offers a Family Pass for the same time period and allows adult family members to enjoy bowling throughout the summer. The Family Pass starts from $24.95 and includes two games per person per day—covering up to four adult family members (and those youth older than 15).
How it works
Once registered you will receive an email on Sunday for all the coupons of free games and Family Pass games for the week. It’s really that simple. I did it with my children last year several times and it was so easy to do! You take the coupons for the correct day of the week to Kegler’s and hand them in when you pay for the games. You will still need to pay for shoes. Kegler’s allows you to use the coupons Monday-Friday from opening until 8 p.m. As well, there is an optional $2.99 “Kids Club” meal available during the promotional time.
A few tips for novice bowlers:
- Make sure you wear (or bring) socks—no bare feet in the rental shoes.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing.
- Don’t use a ball that’s too heavy for you.
- If you’re with kids (and even when you’re not) you can ask Kegler’s to put up bumpers along the gutters. My game improved dramatically!
- Teach children not to step up to bowl until lanes on either side are clear. Only one person should step up and bowl at a time so as not to distract the other bowler.
I do not claim to be a great bowler, but adults who want to improve their games can view videos on www.YouTube.com and how to release the bowling ball correctly. Kegler’s also offers bowling basics and tips on its site.
You can follow Kids Bowl Free on Twitter @kidsbowlfree.
Kegler’s is at 2000 Seminole Trail in Charlottesville; (434) 978-3999.